How Can My Child Get Help in School?

Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs. This may be provided by the subject teacher, through differentiated work, or may involve, for students with specific, identified needs any of the following:

  • Other staff in the school, for example Teaching Assistants
  • Staff who will visit the school for example the Communication Autism Team, Sensory Support Service (for students with a hearing or visual need), Pupil School Support Services or The Educational Psychologist

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in this school?
1. Subject teacher input via excellent quality first targeted classroom teaching

  • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical and visual learning etc.
  • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the Learning Support team or outside agencies) to support your child’s learning.

Who can get this support?
All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent quality first classroom practice.

2. Specific targeted work individually or in a small group, this may be run in the lesson or outside of the lesson by a teaching assistant

  • Your child’s subject teacher will have checked on your child’s progress and will have recognised that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • He/She will identify these needs and make targeted departmental interventions or a TA will run small group or individual sessions using before school, lunchtimes or after school slots.

Who can get this support?
Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning should have access to this.

3. Specialist support from outside agencies as your child has a specific diagnosis of Autism or Dyslexia, for example, they have been identified as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside of the school. This may be from the Communication and Autism Team/Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need), Pupil School Support or The EP

  • Your child will probably have been identified in primary school as having an additional need or you will have raised concerns as to him/her needing more specialist input in addition to excellent classroom teaching, differentiation and out of lesson interventions.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional for example the Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more fully in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. individual targeted support or changing some aspects of the teaching to support them better
    • Support to set better targets.

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school.  They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Who can get this support?
Children with specific, identified barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through differentiation within the mainstream classroom and various intervention groups.

4. Specified individual support for your child. This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the Learning Support Team as needing a particularly high level of support (for example a TA in lessons) which cannot be provided from the normal budget available to the school. Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school, this may be from the Pupil School Support/Communication and Autism Team/Educational Psychologist

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment.
  • If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child, to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support that they are providing.
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational Health Plan.
  • If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current support and also to set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure that your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Education Health Care Plan will outline the support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • For example, if deemed appropriate an additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Who can get this support?
Children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s Achievement Co-ordinator initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Director of Intervention and Inclusion Mrs Colvin-Grieve
  • If you are still not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher Mrs Cooney.
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor Mr Sueb Jabbar.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

  • When a concern has been raised about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching/ departmental interventions have not met the child’s needs it will be referred to the Learning Support Team.
  • Concerns may be raised through interim reports each term and then interventions will be put in place by the Achievement Co-ordinator team, in the first instance, to ensure all children are making good progress.
  • If your child continues to be identified as not making expected progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail to listen to any concerns you may have, to plan any additional support your child may receive, to discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

How is extra support allocated to children?

  • The school budget includes some money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Learning Support Team discuss all the information they have about SEND children in the school, including
    • the children getting extra support already
    • the children needing extra support
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and they then decide what resources/training and support is needed.
  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

The following are directly funded by the school:

  • Learning Mentors
  • Teaching Assistants
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Visiting Teacher
  • Behaviour Manager
  • Place 2 Be and Place 2 Talk
  • Careers Advisor

The following are paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Communication and Autism Service
  • Pupil School Support
  • Sensory Support for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Looked After Children’s Service

The following are provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse

How are the teachers in school supported to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?

  • The Learning Support Team’s Role is to support the teachers in planning for children with SEND.
  • They suggest strategies for using in lessons and create appropriate resources.
  • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of all children including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism, Visual and Hearing impairments, ADHD and Dyslexia.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children for example Sensory service.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs/SEND?

  • Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class differentiating appropriately, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Teaching Assistants will support with your child’s learning in the classroom.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will the school measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her subject teachers, Review tutors and Achievement Co-ordinators.
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a level or GCSE/BTEC grade is given in each subject.
  • If your child is not at level 1 on entry to the school your child will be assessed using another scale of levels that assess attainment up to Level 1. These levels are called ‘P levels’.
  • Children identified as having additional needs that cannot be met in the mainstream classroom through differentiation will have a Pupil Profile.
  • The progress of children with an EHCP Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all those who are involved with the child’s education.
  • The Learning Support Team will also check that your child is making appropriate progress through learning walks, book scrutinies and lesson observations.

What support does the school have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • You can talk to your child’s subject teachers, Review tutor and Achievement Co-ordinator on a regular basis so we are all aware of what they are doing at home and in school. We hope this will ensure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
  • The Learning Support Team will meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you or where this is not possible made available to you in a report. The LST will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
  • Pupil Profiles will be reviewed with your child and any updates will be sent to you and can be discussed at meetings in school if needed.

How have the school made sure that it is accessible to children with SEND (including enrichment activities)?

  • We provide support with homework and reading before school, lunchtime, and after school.
  • Departments make specific departmental interventions as needed.
  • Social skills are developed through Circle of friends and the Friends Programme.
  • All students are encouraged to participate in enrichment activities.

How will the school support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another year?

To ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school and ensure any info about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

When moving year groups in school:

  • Information about your child will be shared with their new teachers In Years 10 and 11.
  • Your child will meet with a ‘Careers worker to create a plan for their Post 16 education.
  • If necessary, for students with a EHCP the Learning support Team will accompany your child on visits to new schools/colleges.